Manager, Network and Servers
Position provides technical leadership and supervision for SUNY Delhi's Network, Server, Desktop Computing and Telecommunications infrastructure. Position is indirectly supervised, receiving direction via stated goals from the Chief Information Officer. Position directs the work of Programmer-Analysts, Lead, Senior and Supervising Programmer-Analysts related to the areas of Network, Server, Desktop Computing and Telecommunications infrastructure. Position performs cost center analysis to help facilitate efficiency and economy. Position assists in performance of feasibility studies, systems design and formulation of recommendations on systems projects. Position recommends purchases for account number 860835-06.
- Responsible for the operation and security of the network.
- Responsible for the operation and security of servers.
- Responsible for the general security of the Desktop Computing environment.
- Responsible for the operation of Telecommunications.
- Responsible for Virtualization layer of campus technology
- Contribute to the technical knowledge in Campus Information Systems (Tier 4 support)
- Analyze, develop and evaluate complex computer systems and determine the most economical and efficient way to meet needs.
- Confer with users and groups to define and communicate system problems.
- Knowledge of Operating System design, architecture and security principles
- Detailed knowledge of operating systems Microsoft Windows 2000,XP Pro,Vista,7 server variants 2000/2003/2008
- Detailed knowledge of MS Active Directory Services / Group Policy design and architecture.
- Programming knowledge of general scripting techniques and languages (Batch, VBS, WSH)
- Knowledge of Network design, archtecture and security principles
- Detailed knowledge of TCP/IP networks in an 802.1Q architecture
- Detailed knowledge of wireless networks, specifically 802.11a/b/g/n
- Detailed knowledge of Network Access Control systems (802.1x, NAC)
- Detailed knowledge of network secuirty, ACLs, stateful firewalls, packetshaping and traffic prioritization
- Knowledge of Telecommunications connectivity, daily operational activites and general administration
- Detailed knowledge of VoIP phone systems.
- Knowledge of of systems and software life-cycle management.
- Knowledge of DataCenter and Data Closet design
- Knowledge of Backup Power systems and site redundancy considerations
Application Specific Knowledge
- General Database Administration: MySQL, SQLServer, Oracle
- Symantec Backup Exec
- Web Engine Administration: IIS5/6/7/7.5, Apache, PHP, CGI, Perl
- Operating System Administration: Windows, Linux
- General knowledge of Linux
- Desktop Client patch deployment: Lumension / WSUS
- Remote Installation Services, Windows Deployment Services
- DNS/DHCP Adminsitration
- Network shares, security and roaming profiles
- VPN Administration (Cisco)
- Advanced switch and router configuration (Cisco)
- VMWare VSphere, VDI, ESXi, Workstation, View
- Antivirus Administration: OfficeScan
- Printer Administration: Drivers, Print Queues, OctoTools (PDF conversion utility), RPM Elite, GoPrint
- A Bachelor's degree, preferably in Computer Science or related field, from a college or university accredited by a US Dept. of Education or internationally recognized accrediting organization.
- Experience working at the operating system and network level.
- Experience working at the router level in a large network.
- A minimum of four years experience as a Windows 2003/2008 system administrator in a production Active Directory environment.
- A minimum of four years experience as a Network Administrator in a production network of a large network.
- A minimum of four years experience supporting end users and technical colleagues in their use of Windows 2003/2008 and Active Directory resources.
- A minimum of four years experience supporting end users and technical colleagues in their use of TCP/IP networks.
- Demonstrable computer/networking troubleshooting and problem solving capabilities at both the software and hardware levels.
- The ability to plan, organize, document, and successfully complete prioritized goals while working independently or as part of a team.
- Highly effective oral and written communication skills.
- Working knowledge of desktop productivity applications.
- The successful candidate will have a proven record of successful leadership in an information technology organization.
- A ten or more year work history that demonstrates progressively responsible experience in technology planning and administration. At least three years in a leadership / management capacity.
- Experience working in an academic environment.
- Six years experience in configuration, operation and maintenance of Windows 2003/2008 servers in an Active Directory environment.
- Six years experience in configuration, operation and maintenance of large network in a Windows environment.
- Demonstrated experience in creating and maintaining Active Directory Group Policy Objects in a production environment.
- Demonstrated experience in creating and maintaining a wireless network.
- Experience with Windows scripting languages (e.g. VBScript, WSH, Jscript).
- Experience in support of database applications (e.g. Oracle, SQL, MySQl).
- Experience with imaging/cloning software.
- Experience with large scale virtual server environment
- Experience working with centralized management applications.
- Experience working in maintaining an enterprise class firewall.
- A MCSE certification.
Performance Program July 2007 - June 2008
DUTIES (list major duties of position in descending order of importance)
- Manage N&S operations (services & systems): policies & practices, planning, budgeting, priorities, work-flow, outcomes, performance, etc.;
- Design, develop, implement and manage, a variety of networking and academic/administrative technologies for SUNY Delhi's business units, CIS units and community partners;
- Identify appropriate vendors, and recommend the purchase of N&S related technology; establish and maintain useful relationships with vendors;
- Work with N&S accounting to maintain accurate reporting of financial expenditures.
- Supervise, evaluate and develop N&S staff;
- Focus and support staff members on meeting department goals;
- Provide technical support to CIS business units and technical staff;
- Communicate with Delhi community (students, faculty, staff) regarding various technology issues
- Participate in various CIS-related technology committees;
Objectives for this period (the supervisor will establish objectives based on the duties and responsibilities of the position, cite specific plans for the achievement of stated objectives when appropriate):
Working with SUNY Delhi's administration, business units and CIS, define and document N&S's current operations and scope of services, service level agreements (stakeholders, product managers, work flow, benchmarking, thresholds, etc.), service providers (specific staffing roles and responsibilities);
- Implement a campus-wide replacement of the physical network.
- Research and design a improved network security model based on current user demands and projected academic and administrative computing needs.
- Research and design a improved server architecture model based on projected business, service and technology needs.
- Develop fluency in various Agile Management practices (SOA, virtualization, etc.);
- Plan, budget and assist with the development of the annual operating budget for N&S business units' currently supported services and systems;
- Plan, budget and assist with the development of projected budgeting for N&S business units in support of extending services and systems;
- Participate in various communications channels (CIS Knowledge Base, CIS Blog, campus committees, seminars/presentations/discussions) promoting collaboration, openness and transparency in CIS decision-making and planning;
- Participate in multiple Delhi, SUNY and external technology events;
- Present at a non-Delhi sponsored technology event.
Long Term Objectives:
- Provide a resilient and secure network (servers, applications, desktops, etc.).
- Design, develop, deploy and test a comprehensive disaster recovery process.
- Organize and administer an annual continuity drill.
- Implement specific, transparent, and repeatable practices for N&S governance and project management;
- Implement practices of assessment to reflect on, and evaluate, N&S governance and project management practices;
- Develop a process for and evaluate/assess all currently deployed technologies maintained by N&S (server hardware, operating systems, software, software deployment methods, etc.)
- Take on a leadership position within the various SUNY technology support organizations and other related professional organizations (COA, SICAS, ITEC, etc. ).
ORGANIZATION CHART FOR THIS POSITION
(use functional titles and grades only, not names)
Positions reporting to the same supervisor, along with this position (if more than four others report to the same supervisor, show the most representative):
- Manager, Campus Technology Services
- Manager, Central Systems
- Coordinator of Online Education
Positions supervised by this position:
Assistant, Network & Servers (Lead Programmer-Analyst)
(offices with whom this person works)
All academic/administrative departments, CIS business units