Lyris List - Sending Messages
Directions for List Administrators to send Messages directly from Lyris to the List
Sending a message from the Lyris interface
- Log into Lyris (http://lyris.itec.suny.edu/)
If you are a list administrator a username and password should have been provided to you by CIS.
- IF you have access to more than one list, select the list you want to send a message to
(Click on the list name next to 'List:' in the top right corner then select your list from the main section of the page.)
- Click 'New Mailing' on the right side
- Enter a Subject and IF you want change the From (Example: Change from senders name to 'Help Desk Announcement<email@example.com' or something appropriate to the list)
- Type or copy your message into either the 'HTML message' field (if you want your message to have special formatting or it has links) or the 'Text message' field (for Plain Text)
a) IF you are pasting text into the HTML field from MS Word (or something with extra formatting) you may receive this message
b) Click 'OK'
c) Click 'OK'
d) Right Click in the Yellow Bar
e) Click 'Always Allow Pop-ups from This Site...'
f) Click 'Yes' (this will eliminate having to repeat steps c - f each time)
g) Paste the text into the 'Paste From Word' box using the Ctrl + V command
(If this box doesn't appear try to paste the text into the html field again as directed in step 5 and click 'OK' as directed in step a)
h) Click 'OK'
- IF you want to send the message at a later date\time click on the Schedule tab, select 'Schedule for' and enter the appropriate date and time
- Click 'Save' to send the message DO NOT click 'Save and Test' as this does cause issues!
Sending a message from your email account
- Open your email
- Create a new message
- Enter the Subject and Body of the message (depending on the message and list it may be appropriate to remove the signature or any other 'extras' you may have)
- In the 'To' field enter the list firstname.lastname@example.org (example: email@example.com)
- Change the Format to 'Plain Text'
(This will help to reduce the number of incidents with users not receiving or being able to properly view the message. Another option to cleanup formatting is to paste the message you are sending into Notepad (NOT Wordpad), then copy and paste the message from Notepad into the email message - this will remove all of the formatting.)
- Send the message
NOTE: Our lists are setup so only list administrators can send messages