There is interest in finding a web conferencing solution for use across campus.
- Individual faculty/staff can host their own meetings (total of over 350 users)
- Clear and simple instructions are provided
- Audio - every participant can use his/her computer headset (microphone/speakers) to participate in the meeting
- Video - at a minimum the meeting host can share a video of him/herself during the presentation
- Recording - meetings can be recorded
- Presentation Files - the meeting host can upload a document (such as a PowerPoint file) and present it to all participants
- Conference phones to allow multiple participants and two-way audio communication between in-person participants and remote participants
- Ability to allow off-campus users to attend meetings
- Participants have the option of either using a computer headset or a phone for audio.
maximum # of participants
Cisco WebEx Meeting Center
1,000 per meeting
? $30,000 (300 hosts)
100 per meeting
$45,000 (300 named organizers)
$7,500 (student FTE of 3,000)
no licensing limits (potentially up to 1,000 per meeting)
No licensing costs. CIS staff time and server hardware required.
A service we already pay for (online class worksheets)
Audio & Video are not recorded; only PDF files can be uploaded
|BigBlueButton||Self Hosted||Open Source||Yes||no licensing limits||No licensing costs. CIS staff time and server hardware required.|
|Presentation File Formats||PDF and Office documents||PDF, DOC, ODT, PPT, et cetera...||Any file type with maybe the exception of executable files|
|Items Recorded||Audio, Slides (w/out annotation), Chat||Audio and everything included in the screen sharing box (Presenter can adjust what is included by moving and sizing the screen sharing box)||All activity in the main room except private messages.|
|How to Record|
Initial Configuration (including recording length)
Initial Configuration (including file type)
|Moderator - Define|
|Moderator - Permissions|
|Presenter - Define|
|Presenter - Permissions|
|Participant - Define|
|Participant - Permissions|
|Recording Size||about 600MB/hour|
|Allows non-users to attend meetings||Yes (via Wordpress integration, not Moodle integration)|
|Additional Notes||Supports multi-tenancy (easily share instance with multiple campuses)||OpenMeetings activities in Moodle cannot be deleted. (bug in Module)|
Use Case Scenarios:
Large Presentation on Campus
Most users are attending in a large room on campus. Some attendees are off campus.
- Conference phone handles audio (microphones and speakers)
- The projector projects what is on the computer screen for all in the room to see
- The webcam captures the video of the audience for all report participants or presenters to see. (if using an built-in camera in the laptop in addition to this webcam, you will need to use two different browsers and connect to the meeting twice; you will only want to use audio in one of the browsers)
- Remote participants will use headsets so as to prevent extra background noise, audio feedback or an echo.
Some of those participating are off campus, some are on campus. Each person is sitting in his/her own office and will use a headset to participate in the meeting.
Search committee wished to do an online interview with candidates
Conference on Campus
Attendees from various locations and institutions attend a conference remotely which is hosted by SUNY Delhi.